Clin Shoulder Elbow Search


Clin Shoulder Elbow > Volume 14(2); 2011 > Article
Clinics in Shoulder and Elbow 2011;14(2):165-171.
DOI:    Published online December 31, 2011.
Clinical Results of Arthroscopic Transtendon Suture Technique of Partial Articular Surface Tendon Avulsion Lesion
Jong Yun Kim, Churl Hong Chun, Jeong Woo Kim, Hong Je Kang, Seung Yeop Song, Yoon Hong Choi
1Department of Orthopedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan, Korea.
2Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Suncheon Plus, Suncheon, Korea.
관절경적 경건 봉합술을 이용한 회전근 개 관절 내 부분파열의 치료 결과
원광대학교 의과대학 정형외과학교실, 원광의과학 연구소, 순천플러스 정형외과
To analyze clinical results of arthroscopic trans-tendon repair in a partial articular-side rotator cuff tear. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Of 31 patients presenting with partial intra-articular rotator cuff tears between April 2006 and January 2010, we selected 24 who had received arthroscopic trans-tendon repair. The average age of patients was 55 (27~75) and the average follow-up period was 37 months (19~64). There were 10 men and 14 women and all had at least a 6 mm tear categorized as Ellman grade 3. Change in range of motion, VAS, ASES, Constant score, and ultrasonographic findings were evaluated postoperatively.
The average forward elevation range prior to surgery was 150.2 (+/-6.67) and it improved to 170 (+/-5.32) by the last follow-up (p<0.001). The average VAS score prior to surgery was 7.38 (+/-1.38) and it decreased to 3 (+/-1.38) (p<0.001). The Constant score before surgery was 49.25 (+/-5.65) and it increased to 73.81 (+/-5.64) by the last follow-up (p<0.001). The ASES score before surgery was 39.59 (+/-12.27) and it increased to 80.56 (+/-11.36) (p<0.001). At the last follow-up, 21 of the 24 patients were satisfied with the result. However, 3 patients were unhappy and had mild pain. On ultrasonography, 22 patients (91.66%) showed improvement without re-rupture, while the other 2 patients (8.34%) showed an with improved symptoms.
In a partial rotator cuff tear in an articular-side lesion, the arthroscopic transtendon suture method shows excellent clinical and ultrasonographic results for at least eighteen months.
Key Words: Shoulder; Rotator cuff; Partial tear; Arthroscopy; Transtendon suture


Browse all articles >

Editorial Office
#6603, 101 Daehak-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul 03080, Korea
Tel: +82-2-3410-1854    Fax: +82-2-3410-0061    E-mail:                

Copyright © 2022 by Korean Shoulder and Elbow Society.

Developed in M2PI

Close layer
prev next